What To Expect
Your Questions Answered
Please use the online calendar or phone for appointments.
I am happy to accept self-referrals as well as referrals from other health professionals. I will carefully determine the suitability of self-referrals after you send an inquiry on the website. I encourage a GP referral as this will help me understand what is required and may also help reduce consultation time.
Once this referral or inquiry is received, I can assess if I am the right person to see your child. Where I feel an alternative specialist would be more appropriate, I will suggest a referral to the appropriate clinician. It is important to keep working with your GP, as he or she has a long-term relationship with your whole family.
Before the consultation
- Write down the questions you wish to ask so you do not forget any.
- Make a list of medications that your child is taking.
- It may help to have your child’s well-child/Plunkett book, reports or clinic letters from other doctors and health professionals, as well as results of any relevant medical tests such as blood and other pathology results and reports of medical imaging (x-ray, ultrasound, MRI or CT scans) done overseas or in private practice.
- Complete and return any questionnaires that I may have sent you.
For the appointment
- Find a quiet area in your home where there is a strong internet connection and where you are not likely to be interrupted.
- Test the microphone and speakers on your device.
- For a video consult, you will receive a link that will automatically send you to a virtual waiting room.
- For a phone consult, I will call you on the number provided.
During our meeting
- I will ask you some questions aimed at obtaining more detailed information about your child’s symptoms in order to assess potential diagnoses.
- I will offer diagnostic advice, and recommend suitable management options, as well as recommendations for future treatment and follow up.
I will send a report summarising the consultation to you and your GP or another health provider. This will state if a follow-up appointment is required to discuss any results or reports to be made.
I work Monday-Friday from 09:00am to 5:00 pm. To accommodate working parents or children who need to limit time off from school, I may have some appointments available on Saturday. You can book online or call reception.
Follow up appointments can be short, medium or longer, depending on the complexity of your concerns and the time required to work through them.
Short follow up appointments are 15 minutes long, and they can include:
- Renewal of special authority number
- New prescriptions
- Phone/email of results
Medium follow up appointments are 30-40 minutes long and can include:
- Discussion of reports and results
- Creation and discussion of action plans
- Follow up of medical intervention plan
- Feedback of assessment outcomes, including an opportunity for questioning and clarification.
- Recommendations for intervention and follow up.
- Revision of management plan
Long follow up appointments are 40 minutes and usually relate to multiple issues and/or the need for an interpreter.
Complex / long appointments are charged separately based on the time required. Fees reflect the extra time required to obtain information from other sources, administering, scoring and reporting assessments. These appointments can include:
- Developmental assessments including assessments for developmental delays in under 5’s, attention deficit and hyperactivity ADD/ADHD, autism spectrum disorder ASD, or to assess multiple issues.
Autism Distinguishing autism from other developmental disorders can be challenging. It is therefore important to take a holistic approach in understanding your child and the challenges that they face. As a result, assessments for autism can be time-consuming.
- Standard autism assessment: This will require an initial appointment to discuss your concerns and decide which assessment(s) is/are appropriate, and discuss the process in detail with you. I may have to obtain reports from other specialists to inform the assessments, such as from speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, or other specialists.
In some cases, a diagnosis can be made at the initial appointment. Where the diagnosis is not so clear cut, a formal assessment will be required. This will include a developmental assessment to identify developmental difficulties that can contribute to the presentation and strengths that can help guide interventions.
I am trained to use validated diagnostic instruments in the comprehensive assessment of the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The tools I use are The Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (mCHAT), Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS), Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R) and Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS).
The ADI-R is a semi-structured face to face interview consisting of up to 90 questions. The total cost for administration and report generation is NZ$800.
ADOS is the gold standard for the observational assessment of autism spectrum disorders and needs to be face to face. I will help you find a suitable practitioner who can carry this out.
- In some cases, a diagnosis can be made at the initial appointment. Where the diagnosis is not so clear cut, a formal assessment will be required. This will include a developmental assessment to identify developmental difficulties that can contribute to the presentation and strengths that can help guide interventions.
- I am trained to use validated diagnostic instruments in the comprehensive assessment of the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The tools I use are The Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (mCHAT), Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS), Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R) and Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS).
- The ADI-R is a semi-structured face to face interview consisting of up to 90 questions. The total cost for administration and report generation is NZ$800.
- ADOS is the gold standard for the observational assessment of autism spectrum disorders. Autism Diagnostic Observation Scales ADOS can take approximately 90 minutes to administer, mark and report. The total cost for this is NZ$900.
- Total ADI-R and ADOS NZ$1700.
Kidzdoctor will be focusing on telehealth appointments until future notice. However, I am happy for you to arrange a telehealth appointment during a consultation with your GP, if needed. By doing this I will be able to assess your child’s health through your doctor’s findings during the consultation and details from physical examination.
Two appointments options can be booked:
- Option 1- video (person on video screen)
- Option 2- (person on phone)
Call +642 1029 17623 to arrange an appointment.
Please leave a message with your contact details and preferred times and I will get back to you.
Step 1 - Go to the KIDZDOCTOR website.
Step 2 - Schedule an appointment using the calendar.
Step 3 - Securely fill in a short online registration form.
Step 4 - You will receive a link on your email or phone.
Step 5 - Click on the link to connect you to your appointment.
As a general paediatrician, I am trained to diagnose and manage a broad range of medical conditions affecting children between 0-15 years of age. Telehealth has wide applications but is not suitable for emergencies or when a full physical examination is required. Conditions may include but not limited to:
- Newborn and infant sleep
- Well-child checks
- Developmental screening/assessment
- Feeding and nutritional challenges
- Evaluation of complex presentation
- Childhood behaviour
- Attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Respiratory conditions, including asthma
- Special needs
- Daytime and bedwetting
- Constipation and soiling
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Mild anxiety
- Musculoskeletal issues
Billing is based on the time it takes to complete the consultation and relevant paperwork. Units start at NZ$250 per half hour or NZ$500 for a 60-minute appointment.
If there are complex medical or multiple issues, a longer appointment will be required and will incur additional charges (insert link to complex/long appointments). I will try to maximise the quality of our time spent face to face by sending you electronic questionnaires to complete before the appointment, where possible. Please make sure you complete and return the questionnaire ahead of the appointment.
The fee for the electronic questionnaires will usually be part of the consultation. However, if there is extensive information to complete beforehand, like paperwork to review, reports to revise, assessments, questionnaires to score and report, then additional costs may apply.
I am a Southern Cross affiliated provider and nib health partner. Please let me know if you wish to have your consultation covered by your medical insurance when making your appointment. You will need to provide your membership number at the time of booking, as we may be required to apply for Prior Approval with your insurance provider before your appointment.
Other insurance providers: Payment will be expected at the time of consultation. A receipt will be provided to allow you to claim back from your insurance company.
You can pay securely using a credit or debit card, internet banking or PoLI.
KIDZDOCTOR Payment Policy
Thank you for booking an appointment with KIDZDOCTOR. I am committed to providing you with quality specialist care.
Please read this payment policy carefully to better understand the terms and conditions.
- I participate in most insurance plans. Please contact your insurance company with any questions you may have regarding your coverage. Please be aware that some services may not be covered by your insurance. If this is the case, you must pay for these services in full at the time of visit. You are also responsible for any fees that are not paid by your insurer.
- Southern Cross Members-Please provide me with your membership number and Child’s name so we can apply for pre-approval. If the consultation is covered, you have nothing to pay as this will be fully covered by Southern Cross.
- Other insurance companies-If you are covered by another insurance company, payment in full is expected at each visit. You will be given a receipt which you can use to claim back from your insurer.
- All payment for services shall be on receipt of the invoice. Payment is by bank transfer, or stripe unless otherwise agreed.
- Non-payment.If your account is over 30 days past due, you will receive a letter stating that you have 7 days to pay your account in full. Partial payments will not be accepted unless otherwise negotiated. Please be aware that if a balance remains unpaid, I reserve the right to refer your account to a debt collection agency. Late payment fees will apply after 30 days.
- Missed appointments.My policy is to charge for missed appointments not cancelled within a reasonable amount of time. These charges will be your responsibility and billed directly to you. Please help me to serve you better by keeping your regularly scheduled appointment.
Thank you for understanding our payment policy. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
KIDZDOCTOR is a service which connects you with a specialist paediatrician based providing virtual consultations via choice of video or phone.
Quality health care for your child has never been easier!